Roasted Bananas with Maple Syrup–Walnut Glaze
This snack is delicious any time of day, but it’s especially good in the evening. Bananas, walnuts, and yogurt contain tryptophan and melatonin, two natural sleep aids. Save any leftovers (excluding the yogurt), and reheat them the following evening.
- 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large firm, ripe bananas
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a bowl, and set aside.
- Cut bananas in half lengthwise.
- Place banana halves, cut sides up, on a jelly-roll pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake for 4 minutes. Drizzle syrup mixture evenly over banana halves, and sprinkle with toasted walnuts. Bake an additional 3 minutes.
- Cut each banana piece into thirds crosswise. Serve bananas with frozen yogurt; drizzle with any remaining syrup mixture.
- Refrigerate leftovers, and reheat in a warm oven.
Nutritional information per serving: 210 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated), 34 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein, 8 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 21 g sugar
Note: Nutritional values are estimates only and may vary according to freshness of ingredients, methods of preparation, and other factors.