Top 10 Al Franken Quotes
Ranked by HUMAN EVENTS Assistant Editor Amanda B. Carpenter
Liberal humorist and former Air America radio host Al Franken recently announced his candidacy for the Minnesota Democratic Senate nomination to challenge Republican Sen. Norm Coleman. His comments show him to be a proud representative of the hard-working, leftist wing of his base inspired by the likes of Michael Moore, Cindy Sheehan and most recently, anti-Catholic hyper-blogger Amanda Marcotte.
10. I’m Al Franken. I hate you, and you hate me.
– How Franken said he introduced himself to Karl Rove, Newsweek, March 29, 2004
9. I’m a bit of a shill for the Clinton Administration, which has its perks. I’m invited to all the inaugural balls.
– Buffalo News, April 7, 1998
8. When I was first asked to speak at Hartford State Technical College, I jumped at the opportunity. Because, you see, I thought I had been asked to speak at Harvard, which would have been quite an honor. But instead, I am here with you, the nation’s future air conditioner repairmen.
– Excerpt from the commencement address he gave to a technical college, Oh the Things I Know!, pp. 6-7
7. Making jokes about Terri Schiavo is one of the hardest things I’ve had to do as a humorist.
– The Truth (With Jokes) p. 159
6. Nobody likes getting an abortion. Except, perhaps, rape victims.
– The Truth (With Jokes) p. 124
5. If I put myself on the ballot and even 50 people voted for me, it’d be a travesty.
– Interview with the Oregonian, Feb. 22, 1999
4. During Vietnam, I was in college, enjoying my student deferment. The government wisely felt that, in my case, military service was less important than completing my studies to prepare me for my chosen career: comedian.
– The Truth (With Jokes), p. 97
3. I’m neutral in this race but I’m for freedom of speech, which means people should be able to assemble and speak without being shouted down.
– After tackling heckler at DNC Event where Howard Dean was speaking, New York Post, Jan. 27, 2004
2. Minnesota Republican Norman Coleman is one of the administration’s leading butt boys.
– The Truth (With Jokes) p. 262
1. Republicans are shameless d**ks. No, that’s not fair. Republican politicians are shameless d**ks.
– The Truth (With Jokes) p. 58